MAGLIANO IN TOSCANA
Magliano in Toscana is a beautiful small medieval town located on the slopes of a wooden hill at 25 kilometres south of Grosseto. The town looks on to the glowing countryside covering the plain, where the changing colours of the vineyards and the silver radiance of the olive groves makes visitors come to a touching experience with the nature.
Magliano, at a short distance from the Lagoon of Orbetello and the valley after its name, links to the west with the Tyrrhenian Sea, while its south side is nearby the borders of the Albegna River.
The territorial area in which Magliano is included belongs to “La Strada del Vino e dei Sapori dei Colli di Maremma” (The Wine and Flavour Trail of the Maremma Hills).
The area consisting in thirteen municipalities of the Grosseto province represents the soul of the Maremma territory. It sets up one of the main routes in Italy of this kind, which running from the sea, to the hills and to the slopes of the Monte Amiata offers an unsurpassable diversity of nature, local customs, numerous important archaeological sites going on from different prehistoric periods, which interest and beauty culminates when those pertaining to the Etruscan and Roman civilizations come through. On the other hand, there are also many highly interesting historical and artistic villages and hamlets coming from the Middle Ages, which are scattered along an unspoiled nature where a lot of heavenly spots are still unexplored by the en masse tourism.
Inasmuch as local products, the unquestionable gems are the extra virgin olive oil and the DOC wine, like the well-known “Morellino di Scansano”, the “Bianco di Pitigliano”, the “Parrina”, the “Sovana”, the “Capalbio” or the “Ansonica” from the coastline of the Argentario peninsula, without forgetting the exquisite pecorino cheese, sausages, cold meats, as well as a first-class fish and seafood.
The origins of Magliano in Tuscany are to be found in the 6th century BC, when the Etruscan civilization left the area of the Albegna Valley and moved to a new site founding the town of Epa, the name they gave to the current Magliano. In fact, as in the town and as in the surrounding area there are many important Etruscan vestiges, like the ample subterranean tombs from the 7th century BC excavated directly in the tuff rock, which were found in the nearby villages of Cancellone and Santa Maria in Borraccia. Among other main findings in Magliano make stand out the celebrated inscription on a thin plumb leaf, from the 6th century BC, containing 70 words called the “Piombo di Magliano”, hosted at present in the Archaeological Museum of Florence.
In 287 BC Magliano was conquered by the Romans who transformed the former settlement into an extensive prosperous colony, which global area was known as the Heba territory. Around the 1st century AD the area was invaded by the barbarians and subsequently recuperated by the Romans. In the 6th century it was conquered by the Longobards who razed to the ground the outstanding Roman structure there constructed. The oldest public document on Magliano is an affidavit from 1097 signed by Guido, notary in Sovana, confirming that the then Fortress of Magliano and its surrounding area was integrated in the fief of the Counts Aldobrandeschi. Another document from May 1221, subscribed by the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II, corroborates that the area was a lordship of the palatine Count Ildebrando degli Aldobrandeschi, who after a few months conceded its control to a vassal of his named Bernardino di Magliano. In 1274 the Aldobrandeschi County was separated in different fractions in advantage of other branches of the Aldobrandeschi family, thus the area of Magliano was given over to the Marquises of Santa Fiora, whose descendants ruled it until the first half of the 14th century when the area was ceded to the Republic of Siena. In 1555 Magliano and the entire Maremma territory felt into the power of Florence. Some years later the Medici conceded the fief to the condottiere (captain of fortune) Cornelio Bentivoglio di Ferrara, Marquise of Gualteri, who became the lordship of the new Marquisate. In the 18th century when Tuscany was ruled by the Habsburg Lorraine dynasty Magliano came to a significant development mainly due to the drainages carried out in the neighbouring marshes, which notably increased the farming and cattle rising activities in the area.
Main sights to visit in Magliano:
- The Fortified Walls. The two cylindrical towers and the walls encircling the citadel were constructed in the 14th century to replace the legendary Aldobrandeschi Fortress from the 11th century, but preserving the fortified structure erected to the south of the citadel in the 13th century consisting in a line of walls with four quadrangular bastions.
- The Church of San Giovanni Battista. The Romanesque church comes from the end of the 11th century, although in the following centuries it underwent into several reforms. The tuff stone façade is especially interesting. A big hammer, the medieval emblem of the citadel, is carved in the apse. The indoors are formed by a single nave with three large arches fastening the ceiling. It houses some beautiful frescoes from the 17th and the18th centuries.
- The Etruscan Museum. The Museum houses a notable collection of Etruscan art. It opens from Monday to Wednesday from 10 am to 1 pm.
- The Palazzo dei Priori. Is an imposing palace built in 1425 by will of the Sienese Captain Pietro Salimbeni Benassai to be converted into the site of both the military and civil governing of the citadel. The façade is ornamented with a profusion of coats of arms pertaining to the most important representatives of Magliano. Among them make stand up those of Pietro Salimbeni, of the Bandinelli family and of the Piccolomini dynasty.
Where to eat:
- “Antica Trattoria Aurora” (Via Chiasso Lavagnini, 12). Is a well-known restaurant run by a lovely old lady, her children and grandchildren, which offers a remarkable inner Maremma’s cuisine. Ask for the first-class “porcellino alle mele” (roasted sucking-pig with apples). Home made desserts are a must. Wine list is really good, among them we suggest you to enjoy the “Morellino di Scansano”.
Price per person for a full meal is around 40 €.
- Pizzeria “Da Mario” (Via Giuseppe Garibaldi, 5). Is a traditional both pizzeria and trattoria with a friendly ambience. It offers an excellent variety of pizzas, hand made pasta and meat cuts. Local wines are good.
Price per person for a full meal is around 20 €.
The Tuscany Travel Blog
If you have recently visited Tuscany or you would like to visit Tuscany we now offer the
Tuscany Travel Blog Here you have the opportunity to share your experience, request information or impressions to other customers, and also become an author of the Blog yourself!