Main monuments to visit:
- Palazzo Pretorio: was the imposing residence of the Florentine governing magistrates. It was built at the beginning of 12th century and reconstructed in the 15th century. Its façade is richly ornamented by coats of arms. The indoors host many art works, like the outstanding “Tabernacle of the Executed” by Benozzo Gozzoli, as well as a good collection of frescoes, pictures and precious objects coming from the Etruscan and Roman civilizations. Palazzo Pretorio is also the higher structure in Certaldo. It overlooks the whole town and offers some amazing views to the nearby countryside.
- Casa del Boccaccio: is a medieval building which still preserves some original features. Seriously damaged during the IIWW it has been respectfully rebuilt. It hosts a Library with a precious old section dedicated to the works of Boccaccio.
- The Church of S. Jacopo and S. Filippo: a charming Romanesque structure built in the 13th century. The indoors host a marble bust of Giovanni Boccaccio (early 16th century).
A gravestone to commemorate him is set on the floor of the single nave. The cloister of the church houses the “Museo Civico d’Arte Sacra”
- Palazzo Stiozzi Ridolfi: built in the 13th century is a splendid palace with an elegant courtyard and a pretty porch.
- The Mercantia Festival: takes place every year in the last week of July. Is a traditional rich festival composed of theatre, music and dancing performances and a peculiar large market in which craftsmen exhibit and sell their handmade works.
- “Certaldo Sotto le Stelle”: a song festival which takes place every year in the first week of September.
Main Towns of Chianti
Badia a Passignano,
Barberino val d' Elsa,
Castellina in Chianti,
Castello di Brolio,
Castello di Gabbiano,
Castello di Meleto,
Colle Val D' Elsa,
Greve in Chianti,
Mercatale Val di Pesa,
Panzano in Chianti,
Radda in Chianti,
Tavernelle Val di Pesa,
Badia a Coltibuono.
The Tuscany Travel Blog
If you have recently visited Tuscany or you would like to visit Tuscany we now offer the
Tuscany Travel Blog Here you have the opportunity to share your experience, request information or impressions to other customers, and also become an author of the Blog yourself!